Unproductive coughing is difficult for adults and children. Viscous mucus accumulates in the bronchi, creating obstruction. Inhalation dilutes the pathological sputum, accelerates the process of its excretion. The procedure is safe when done correctly. After the first session, breathing is already normalized. It is most convenient to use modern nebulizers. The best remedy for filling is a saline solution to eliminate unpleasant signs and inflammation, and to restore damaged tissues. Also, taking into account the nature of dry cough, expectorants, antibiotics, bronchodilators, mucolytics, glucocorticoids are suitable.
How does the treatment process take place?
The treatment solution is prepared the day before. The degree of penetration will depend on the particle size. If large (10 microns), then settle in the nasopharynx. Medium (5-10 microns) — in the trachea, larynx. Small (1-2 microns) will enter the pulmonary alveoli. Inhalation is carried out 1.5-2 hours after a meal. General rules for the procedure:
- Straighten your back. Sit down.
- Breathe freely.
- Inhale the vapor through the mouth for diseases of the lower respiratory tract, with the nose — for the upper. Can be alternated by pausing for 2 seconds.
- Rinse your mouth, wash your face at the end of the session.
- Dispose of residual solution.
- For about half an hour, do not talk, do not drink, do not eat, do not go out into the cold.
- Men stop smoking for 1 hour.
How to respond to a severe wet cough?
A wet cough occurs when a cold is caused by a virus. In this case, it is worth analyzing the situation. If phlegm is well formed and excreted, then inhalation is risky. There may be complications, recovery will slow down. If the lower parts of the respiratory system are inflamed, then it is the nebulizers that will deliver the medicinal composition to the affected areas, stimulate the outflow of mucus.
Doctors recommend inhalation for airway obstruction when the medication is insufficient. Their active substances slowly reach the lungs, bronchi, because they are absorbed only in the digestive tract. Steam treatment for wet cough is indicated for children if mucus accumulates in the lower respiratory tract. Sprayed particles from the aerosol quickly enter the mucous membranes of the lungs and bronchi.
Treatments are better than cough medicines, which are slow and often ineffective. When inhaled, the medicinal composition:
- enters the lesion focus, softens the mucous membrane of the respiratory system;
- relieves inflammation;
- suppresses viruses, bacteria;
- liquefies phlegm, improves its excretion;
- reduces coughing attacks;
- accelerates the healing process;
- eliminates bronchospasm in obstructive bronchitis
Inhalation is a safe manipulation for unproductive cough, difficult sputum secretion. Inhalation of hot steam reduces inflammation in colds, respiratory diseases, improves the well-being of patients even with attacks that do not bring relief, intermittent unstable breathing, swelling of the mucous membranes, suffocation, congestion of the paranasal sinuses and nasal passages.
Attention! The virus does not sleep, quickly attacks the respiratory tract. It is better to carry out inhalation as soon as the first symptoms of the disease appear.
Nebulizers are universal devices that transform liquid medicines into fine suspensions. When they are inhaled, the aerosol occurs:
- productive expectoration;
- dilution of sputum;
- moisturizing the respiratory system.
Inhalation from a nebulizer can be carried out for children, elderly people with weakened immunity. In case of loss of consciousness, it is allowed to connect the device to the ventilation system. When the vapors are inhaled, drugs do not enter the gastrointestinal tract. This means that this method is suitable for diseases of the liver, kidneys, stomach.
Preparations for inhalation: how to dilute, dosages, recipes
Doctors prescribe the following groups of drugs, taking into account whether the cough is dry or wet:
- Immunomodulators (Derinat, Interferon).
- Bronchodilators (magnesium sulfate, Berodual, Berotek, Salgim).
- Antibiotics, antiseptics (Chlorophyllipt, Fluimucil, Furacilin, Dioxidin, Gentamicin).
- Mucolytics (Lasolvan, Pertussin, Mukaltin).
- Immunomodulators (Derinat, Interferon).
The best means for pouring into a nebulizer are saline, alkaline mineral waters without gas, especially if the mucous membranes are prone to an inflammatory process, dry, and need moisturizing. The saline solution is poured into the device in pure form or mixed with medicines (Berodual, Lazolvan, Ambrobene, Dioxidin, Gentamicin, Dexamethasone, Fluimucil, Atrovent, Sinupret, Malavit, Naphtizin). It is better for children to dilute with distilled water (1: 1), use it warm (temperature + 37.5 ° C).
If it is not possible to buy saline solution at a pharmacy, you can prepare it yourself. For this:
- boil water (1 l);
- cool to 60 degrees;
- add sea / table salt (1 tsp);
- mix thoroughly until the crystals are completely dissolved;
- apply at 37 degrees.
For coughs caused by viruses, Chlorhexidine, Miramistin, and ordinary saline are suitable.
To help with unproductive cough — traditional medicine recipes:
- Soda solution. Pour 1 dessert spoon of powder into hot water (1 l). Stir well.
- Honey and chamomile flowers. 2 tbsp. l. Pour the plants with hot water (300 ml). Insist. Strain. Add honey (1 tbsp. L.).
- Thyme, mother and stepmother. 2 tbsp. l. collection, pour water (400 ml). Boil in a water bath for 5 minutes. Insist 30 minutes. Strain.
- Oregano, peppermint. 1 tbsp. l. pour the mixture with hot water (200 ml), let it brew. Strain.
Advice! You can drip 1-2 drops of eucalyptus, menthol, tea tree oil into hot water. Eucalyptus, menthol, glycerin, water and ethyl alcohol help well. The mixture is sold in pharmacies in bottles (40 ml) or prepared at home. A recipe based on mineral water or just a glass of hot boiled water is suitable for children.
Algorithm for the procedure in a nebulizer
If you are worried about pain, then first the nebulizer is filled with lidocaine. Local anesthesia is administered. Then mucolytics are used to enhance sputum secretion. Last but not least, saline or mineral water is used to moisturize the respiratory tract. The algorithm of actions is as follows:
- Free your breath: open the collar, take off the sweater with a high neckline.
- Bring the nebulizer to your face. Connect to the network by setting to normal mode.
- Take a deep breath, holding your breath for 1-2 seconds. Exhale.
- Carry out the process slowly, calmly. Don’t talk. After washing with warm water, rinse your mouth.
- Wear dry clothes.
- Rinse the nebulizer with running water and dry.
Do not inhale on a full stomach and at a body temperature above +37 degrees. If expectorants are taken, no earlier than 1-1.5 hours. Selected essential oils and herbs should first be tested for allergies by performing an inhalation test for 2 minutes. Allergy sufferers prefer baking soda, mineral water.
Duration and frequency of treatment
On average, 7-15 minutes are given for 1 procedure. It is enough for children for 5-7 minutes. And so 5-6 times a day, until a dry cough turns into a wet one, sputum begins to go away.
Do not rush when inhaling the vapors. If you are worried about a runny nose, then the solution is inhaled through the nose. When coughing — through the mouth, with closed eyes.
Duration of treatment is 7 days. Further — it is meaningless. If the cough persists, it is best to see a doctor.
Home treatment without a device
Not everyone has a nebulizer at hand. But with a cold, you can not hesitate with treatment. Folk methods will help, improvised means — a saucepan, a kettle.
For steam inhalations, boiled potatoes, which are boiled in a deep dish, are suitable. The patient inhales hot steam. If your throat hurts, essential oils (fir, pine, eucalyptus) will help. With a cold — fir oil. With bronchitis — herbal decoction, soda infusion, medicinal herbs (lavender, mint, pine buds, eucalyptus, chamomile, sage, oregano, coltsfoot). For bacterial cough — thyme. Plants have disinfecting, anti-inflammatory properties, eliminate cough, perspiration, sore throat. You can prepare the fees by mixing several types of herbs, pour in water, bring to a boil. Before use, 1 tbsp is added to the infusion. l. soda.
Attention! It is recommended to add sodium chloride (0.9%) to any of the steam infusions. If you are worried about a light cough, then it is quite possible to limit yourself to pouring mineral water into the inhaler without gas («Essentuki», «Borjomi»).
Features of inhalation treatment
Inhalation is an effective method for treating dry, unproductive cough. Solution added to the nebulizer:
- quickly and precisely affects the site of inflammation;
- penetrates into almost any part of the respiratory system due to spraying into fine particles;
- precisely dosed for use in any patient’s physical condition.
Inhalation is allowed for allergies and respiratory pathologies to speed up the healing process.
Inhalation for a child is an effective method of treating dry cough. The most effective solution for filling a nebulizer is saline:
- gives an antimicrobial effect;
- clears the larynx from accumulated viruses, bacteria;
- relieves tissue swelling;
- moisturizes the mucous membrane.
If a child is worried about an allergic cough or a cold, then it is enough to pour 2-4 ml (10-20 drops) of liquid into the nebulizer. Carry out the process for 5-7 minutes. For filling, mineral alkaline waters, medicines, essential oils, herbal decoctions, baking soda are used. The active substances contained in them are sprayed into the respiratory tract. The main thing is that no residue remains in the solution.
- mucolytics (Lasolvan, Ambrogexal, Immucil);
- expectorants (Sinupret, Ambroxol, ACC) to accelerate the excretion of sputum;
- anti-inflammatory drugs (Rotokan, Malavit, Tonsilgon) for inflammation of the respiratory system;
- antibiotics — for children from 6 years old (Dioxidin, Dekasan, Gentamicin) with pathologies of a bacterial nature.
2 ml of solution is poured into the nebulizer. The child exhales for 2-4 minutes. And so on up to 5 manipulations a day. Before treatment, the child should not be fed for 1 hour. Sleep after the procedure
Adults can use saline, antitussive drugs in doubled compared with children’s doses.
The procedure is carried out in a sitting position for up to 10 minutes. There is enough time to moisturize the ciliated epithelium of the respiratory tract. With a viral infection, the duration of the course is 3-4 days. The saline is mixed with antitussives for chronic lung lesions, occupational diseases. With a paroxysmal cough, you can take a solution based on Dexamethasone, Pulmicort. The procedure is carried out 4-5 times a day for 10-15 minutes.
In obstructive pulmonary disease and bronchial asthma, the duration of therapy is selected by the doctor, taking into account the degree of respiratory damage, the age of the patients.
Inhalation for children under one year old
For infants of the first year of life, the procedure, if prescribed, is under the supervision of a doctor, in a hospital. The fact is that vapors of saline, if inaccurately carried out inhalations at home, can provoke:
- irritation of the mucous membranes of the nasopharynx and larynx;
- shortness of breath;
If the doctor permits, then inhalation for the baby is carried out from 1 to 15 minutes. At the end of the procedure, the child should remain in bed for at least 1.5 hours. If he is crying, it is better to wait until he calms down, then try to manipulate.
The procedure is not performed for babies at elevated temperatures, allergic reactions, nosebleeds, heart disease.
When choosing drugs, specialists take into account the physiological characteristics of the respiratory tract mucosa in children. It is unacceptable for active substances to enter the systemic circulation, to cause dysfunctions of internal systems and organs.
Many medicines for women in position are prohibited. It is allowed to use sodium chloride solution, saline for the purpose of relieving a runny nose, edema, pouring up to 5 ml into a container.
The procedure takes 11-15 minutes, the frequency is up to 5 times a day.
Contraindications and side effects
Inhalation is not carried out in the following cases:
- allergy to components of medicinal products;
- diseases of the heart, blood vessels;
- discharge of purulent sputum;
- body temperature is higher than +37.5 degrees.
Side effects appear when the procedure is carried out incorrectly and contraindications are ignored.
After inhalation, the cough is worse
Do not give up inhalation, even if the cough gets worse. You need to monitor your health. If there are no signs of suffocation and high fever, then there is nothing to worry about. Perhaps these are one-time problems. After a second procedure, this will not happen again.
Inhalation using a nebulizer is an effective way to combat dry, unproductive cough. Symptoms are eliminated in a short time. Chronic, acute diseases of the respiratory system are cured. For successful therapy, it is worth adhering to the dosages and frequency of the sessions performed.